Spinach & Squash Gratin
Easy, Healthy Dinner Dish
- 1‐2 lbs. washed and ready Spinach
- 2 lbs (3 cups) Butternut Squash: sliced or cubed – it’s your choice!
- 2 cups Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, grated: the sharper, the better!
- ½ ‐ ¾ cup Flour
- ½ stick of Butter (1/4 cup)
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper
It’s just like making lasagna – layer and have fun!
- Place a light dusting of flour into your baking dish (9×13 inch deep baker works great) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pinch and dot lightly with butter. Use sparingly to complete the layers.
- Layer in the spinach covering the bottom and sprinkle lightly a bit of the cheddar cheese.
- Layer butternut squash and sprinkle flour – pinch a dash with your fingers and dust the layer. Lightly pepper and add pinches of butter.
- Repeat until you’ve topped the dish with the rest of your cheese. Allow the squash and spinach to work together at the top.
- Lightly sprinkle flour and dots with the remaining butter.
- Pour milk/cream into all the nooks and crannies, getting it around the entire dish, filling the little pockets along the sides.
- Make a dome with aluminum foil so it doesn’t stick to the cheese but creates a seal along the edges of the dish.
- Bake at approximately 400˚F for 35‐45 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil after 30 minutes. Pierce with a knife to make sure the squash is tender. Keep baking until done. Make sure to let sit for 10 minutes to set. Can be made in individual dishes or served tableside.
- Have fun with the dish and enjoy! Try nutmeg or add some garlic.